Castleford Library Pictures 2
The old Castleford library closed its present doors in December 2011. It opened
it's doors to a new generation of users in December 2013. FOCAL have recorded the
closure and the building of the new building in a series of photographs.
1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
51 - 52
December 2011. This photograph shows the
whole depth of Castleford library on the right, looking northward down the
old indoor market access route. Notice the Acro prop supports holding the
upper window surrounds that have been there for decades.
December 2011. A reverse photograph looking
south on to Carlton Street. The two storey library on the left is to be
demolished leaving and reusing the original 1905 Carnegie library shown, the
building with a chimney on that adjoined Carlton Street. The tight
thoroughfare is to be kept.
December 2011. A rear view looking south,
shows the two storey library building in the centre.
April 2012. Scaffolding erected to work on
the damaged and worn frontage.
April 2012. Scaffold erected ready to start
the demolition process.
May 2012. Demolition of the rear of the old
library in progress.
May 2012. All the old building has gone
leaving the original library building.
May 2012. The old library building has gone
and concrete and steel supports tie the library wall with the old market
May 2012. Surveying the site.
May 2012. The internals have been stripped